*Vagabond CrossFit Yoga Class this Saturday, October 8th @ 10:15 am*
*All Vagabonds participating in the No Grain Challenge, the 10$ registration fee first due date is on Friday, October 7th. Please hand to one of the trainers, and write your name on board as someone who paid! Also, check out the Vagabond No Grain Challenge Facebook Group Page, as recipes and delicious items are already being put on the Page!*
I. Advice from Coach John on Hand Care and Treatment:
Today we will be doing a workout with a high volume of pull-ups. Sometimes doing lots of pull-ups can be brutal on the hands and it’s not uncommon to see some nasty blisters and tears. Although building up calluses generally protects the hands, it can also lead to some bad rips if those calluses are rough and cause a lot of friction on the bar.
This link has some great advice for hand care that I wanted to share with you guys. Click Here for some great information on Hand Care.
My personal advice on how best to avoid tearing your hands (in order of preference).
1. Use a callous shaver and pumice stone regularly on the meaty part of your hands between the palm and the base of your fingers. “CornHuskers” lotion is also really good to use.
2. For any WOD’s with a high volume of pull-ups (more than 50) consider making some tape grips as described in the website article.
3. If you’re too lazy to make tape grips, you can buy Gymnastics grips for about $10-$20 online. These accomplish pretty much the same thing.
4. Gloves: Yes, you will need to listen to other members comment on what a wuss you are but if it means not tearing your hands and missing workouts, maybe it’s worth the abuse! Just remember that by using gloves you might not be toughening up your hands so that they can resist tears and blisters in the future.
5. Go easy on the chalk. Yes, it can help by keeping your hands dry but it also creates additional friction so it’s kind of a double edged sword!
II. Dynamic Specific Warm-Up:
2 Rounds of the following:
10 m Bear Crawl
10 m High Knees
10 m Bear Crawl
10 m Butt Kicks
III. Dynamic Mobility:
90 Degree Quad Stretch
Band Hangs: Front Rack Position Stretch
Clean Variation: Hang Position Review
IV. Strength and Conditioning:
A. Hang Power Cleans, 5-5-5-3-3-3
B. Pull-Ups on the Minute, Every Minute…
*1 Pull Up on the First Minute, Two Pull-Ups on the Second Minute, and continue this until you can no longer complete required amount of pull-ups in the minute prescribed.*
*Compare to April 15th, 2011*
On the Minute Every Minute, Body Rows
Banded Pull-Ups or Regular Pull-Ups, 5 reps on the minute x 12 minutes
Post Weights Used and Number of Rounds Completed to Comments.