"Squat and Anchor"(7.9.2010)
I. Some Good Advice from Potomac CrossFit in Virginia:
1. Breakfast is everything. If I can convince you to eat meat and eggs for breakfast, the other meals are usually OK. If you negotiate with me about having probiotic yogurt instead of meat and eggs, we’re in trouble
2. I can get someone 70% of the way there in the Olympic lifts in about 3 hours. At that point, the limiting factor for men is usually shoulder and hip mobility. For women, its front squat and overhead squat strength out of the bottom.
3. If you aren’t a total idiot with what you eat, you should set a PR pretty much every time you step in the gym for the first 2 years.
4. The shorter the workout, the longer the warmup should be. You need to warmup for 35 minutes for Fran. You need to warmup for 5 minutes for Murph.
5. Unweighed unmeasured Paleo eating works best if you’ve done “The Zone” first. Your Zone experience will give you a ballpark idea of how much you should be eating. If you don’t come from a “Zone” background, you’ll likely do things like sit down and eat 85 Macadamia nuts and wonder why you aren’t losing any weight.
6. As you get better, you need to take a back off week about every fourth week (not because of injury). You can still come in and workout, but take some more rest days and just chill out.
7. You don’t need to learn to butterfly kip. Seriously, stop it. You are going to hurt yourself and you’d be much better off working toward a bodyweight press.
8. Dumbbells are the most under appreciated piece of equipment in the gym.
9. Prior runners do not need supplementary running to improve their run times. People without a running background do. I think this mostly has to do with learning to pace correctly.
10. You can’t just train weaknesses. It’s too depressing. Every now and then, pick something you are amazing at and crush it.
11. You can get away with a lot of inefficiencies if you’ve got a strong grip. Do more farmers’ carries.
I. Schedule Change for July 9th and July 10th, 2010:
*July 9th, 2010: All regular classes are scheduled, except there will be NO 10:00 AM CLASS!!*
*July 10th, 2010: Gym will be open from 9:00 am to 10:00 am for VAGABOND PARTNER WOD to celebrate Ross’ Wedding Day, so come on in!!*
* Partner WOD will be announced during Friday Classes!!
III. Dynamic Mobility Warm-Up:
1 Minute for each movement:
Switch Spiderman Lunge
IV. Strength WOD(Upper Body):
Push Press(3-3-3)(Compare to April 5th, 2010)
V. Metabolic Conditioning Workout of the Day:
“Squat and Anchor”
5 Rounds for time of:
Squat Clean Thruster x 5
Anchored Sit-Ups x 30
*Scaling Options for Squat Clean Thrusters*
Men: 135, 115, 95, 75
Women: 95, 75, 65, 45
Post Rounds Completed to Results.